In this tutorial, we’ll guide you about how to root the Samsung Galaxy J3 and flash TWRP custom recovery in it using Odin Flash Tool. The Samsung Galaxy J3 is a low-end Android smartphone from Samsung to compete against local smartphone companies. The device come packed with a 5-inch HD display, a 8 MP primary camera with full HD video recording support, Spreadtrum SC9830 Chipset with 1.5 GHz quad-core processor and 1.5 GB RAM.
Before You Begin
- This guide is only for the Samsung Galaxy J3. Please don’t try this on any other smartphone.
- Rooting will void your device’s warranty.
- Make sure your device is full charged.
- Create a backup of all your important data.
- Enable “USB Debugging” and “OEM Unlock” from developer options in your device (Click Here if you’re not able to find Developer Options in your device’s settings).
- Download and Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy J3 in your PC or Laptop.
- TWRP Recovery
- Download SuperSu and move it into your device’s sdcard.
- Odin Flash Tool (Download Odin v3.10)
How To Install TWRP Recovery And Root Samsung Galaxy J3
- Follow all the instruction written above carefully.
- Download all the required files, install USB drivers in your PC.
- Extract the Odin v3.10 zip file in a empty folder of your PC.
- Now run the Odin v3.10.exe file from the folder where you extracted the files in previous step.
- Connect your device to PC using data cable.
- Now boot your device into Download mode, turn off your phone and press and hold the ‘Home + Volume Down + Power’ buttons together until you enter in the download mode.
- Once your device is successfully connected, you’ll see ID:COM box in Odin will turn blue and an Added!! message will appear in the log box of Odin.
- Now click on the AP button in Odin and locate and add the twrp-3.0.0-xxx.img.tar file.
- Click on the Start button in Odin to start the flashing process. The whole flashing process will not take more than a minute. Once its successfully done your device will automatically reboot, you’ll see a PASS!! message in Odin log box and in ID:COM box.
- Now boot your device into Recovery mode, turn off your device then press and hold ‘Home + Volume Up + Power‘ buttons for few seconds.
- In TWRP Recovery, tap on the Install button, select the SuperSU.zip file. TWRP will ask for confirmation, Swipe to confirm the process and it’ll flash the SuperSU in your device.
- After flashing SuperSU, reboot your device.
That’s it, this is the whole guide to gain root access in your Samsung Galaxy J3 and install TWRP Custom Recovery in it.