In this article, we’ll guide you about how to root OnePlus 3 easily and install/flash TWRP custom recovery in it after unlocking its bootloader using ADB and Fastboot tools. The OnePlus 3 is the latest smartphone and comes with all the high-end hardware and software features available right now. The device come with a 5.5-inch Full HD display, a 16 MP rear camera with 4K video recording support, Snapdragon 820 chipset with 6 GB RAM and a 3000 mAh battery to power all this. The guide is really simple and easy to follow, don’t skip any step.
Before You Begin
- This guide is only for OnePlus 3, not try this on any other smartphone.
- Create a backup of all your important data and documents.
- Download and Install OnePlus 3 USB Drivers in your PC.
- Enable USB Debugging in your device from Developer Options and also enable OEM Unlock and Advanced Reboot Option from Developer Options.
Download Required Files
How To Unlock Bootloader On OnePlus 3
- Press the Power button and select Reboot -> Bootloader and then wait for your device to boot into Bootloader mode.
- Connect your OnePlus 3 to PC using USB cable.
- Open the folder where you downloaded the TWRP and SuperSU files. Hold down the Shift key and right-click on the mouse to select Open Command Prompt here.
- A command prompt will appear on desktop, type fastboot devices and press Enter. You’ll get a device name which means your device is successfully connected (If not make sure ADB drivers and OnePlus 3 drivers are installed successfully).
- Now type Fastboot OEM Unlock and hit Enter button, you will get the prompt asking for confirmation to unlock your device. Use Volume buttons to navigate and select Yes to unlock bootloader of your device (Note : This will wipe out your device completely).
That’s it!! Your device bootloader is unlocked now.
How To Install TWRP Custom Recovery And Root OnePlus 3
- Now bootloader of your device is unlocked and your device is completely formatted. Now you will have Enable USB Debugging in your device from Developer Options and also enable OEM Unlock and Advanced Reboot Option from Developer Options again.
- Connect your device to PC using USB cable and transfer the downloaded SuperSU zip file in Internal storage of your device.
- Now boot your device into Bootloader mode again (Press Power button -> Reboot -> Bootloader).
- Open the folder where TWRP Recovery is downloaded and hold down the Shift key and right-click on the mouse to select Open Command Prompt here.
- Type the command fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and hit enter button. This command will flash TWRP Recovery image in your OnePlus 3. Now boot your device into Recovery mode using volume buttons.
- Once you’re in Recovery mode, select Install and then browse and select the SuperSU zip file and install it.
- Once the installation process is complete, reboot your device normally.
Congrats, Your OnePlus 3 is successfully rooted now and TWRP Custom Recovery is also flashed.