In our last article, we wrote about how to unlock bootloader on Huawei Honor 9 using the ADB and Fastboot method. Without unlocking the bootloader, rooting and installing custom recoveries and roms is not possible in Honor 9. So, if you’re here and the bootloader of your device is not unlocked then please visit our guide on how to unlock bootloader on Honor 9 and unlock it. Once the bootloader is unlocked, we’ll proceed and first will flash custom recovery image using the ADB & Fastboot method and then we’ll root the device using the custom recovery. Rooting and flashing custom recoveries will give you access to do many things which aren’t possible without it like flashing custom ROMs, tweaks and mods. The method is simple and easy, you just need to follow the step-by-step guide written below and make sure you don’t miss any step.
- Unlocking, Rooting and Flashing Custom Recovery/ROMs can brick your phone.
- It’ll also void the device’s warranty.
- We are not responsible for any damage in any case.
Before You Begin
- Download and install ADB & Fastboot drivers from here.
- Download and install Huawei Honor 9 USB drivers in your PC from here.
- Bootloader must be unlocked, Click Here for the guide.
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock option in your device. Go to Settings> About Phone> Software info, then find Build number and tap on it repeatedly until you see a message that says “You are now a developer.” Now go back to main Settings, and you will now see Developer mode towards the bottom. Tap on Developer mode and find OEM Unlock and USB Debugging. Enable them both.
- Make sure your device is fully charged.
- TWRP Recovery Image for Honor 9 (Once you download it, rename the file “recovery.img” for the ease of installation and then transfer it to the ADB & Fastboot folder)
- SuperSU zip file (Directly download in your device or transfer it to your device once downloaded).
How To Flash/Install Custom TWRP Recovery In Huawei Honor 9
- Go to the ADB & Fastboot installation folder, press and hold the SHIFT key and press the right mouse click on an empty space and the select the “Open command window here” from the options shown in the right-click menu (Make sure the “recovery.img” file is also in the same folder).
- Now a command window will appear on your screen.
- Connect your Honor 9 to PC using the USB cable (Make sure the USB drivers are installed and USB Debugging is enabled).
- Now, In the Command Window type the following command to boot your device into the Fastboot mode.
[alert-announce]adb reboot bootloader[/alert-announce]
- Once your device is Fastboot mode, type the following command and hit Enter to flash/install TWRP recovery in Honor 9.
[alert-announce]fastboot flash recovery recovery.img[/alert-announce]
- The whole process will take few seconds to complete. Once done, type the following command to reboot your device to normal.
- That’s it!! Custom TWRP Recovery is successfully installed/flashed in your Huawei Honor 9.
How to Root Huawei Honor 9 using TWRP Recovery
- Once the bootloader is unlocked and the TWRP Recovery is successfully installed you’re good to go for rooting your Honor 9.
- Disconnect your device from computer and power it off completely.
- Now boot your device into Recovery mode by pressing and holding Power Button and Volume Up button simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Once your are in TWRP Recovery Mode, we recommend you to create an backup before rooting your device. To create a Backup of your device, select the Backup option from the main menu. Next, select all the partitions you want to create a backup for and then swipe to initiate the process. The backup process will take few minutes.
- Once the Backup process is complete, go back to the main menu and select Install.
- Now navigate to the folder where your downloaded or transferred the SuperSU zip file and select it.
- Now Swipe to initiate the flashing process, once the process is complete, tap on the Reboot System option.
- Once your device boots up to normal, Open the Google Play Store and download the Superuser app to take control of rooting access.
Congratualtions!!, Your Huawei Honor 9 is successfully rooted now and TWRP Custom Recovery is also installed/flashed in your Honor 9.