The Android Orea is the latest update from Google and the Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus were the first Samsung smartphones to receive the Oreo update. If your Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8 Plus are root, you’ll loose the root access once you update to the latest Android Oreo update. Thankfully, the latest method to install/flash TWRP custom recovery and rooting your Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus are here.
- This method is only for Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus with Exynos variants, don’t try it on any other smartphone or model with Snapdragon chipset.
- Rooting, Unlocking and Flashing can soft brick your device. We’re not responsible for anything in any case. Please understand what you are doing before you choose to proceed further.
Before You Begin
- You’ll need an Windows based Computer system or Laptop.
- Exynos chipset powered Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8 Plus.
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock option in your device. Go to Settings> About Phone> Software info, then find Build number and tap on it repeatedly until you see a message that says “You are now a developer.” Now go back to main Settings, and you will now see Developer mode towards the bottom. Tap on Developer mode and find OEM Unlock and USB Debugging. Enable them both.
- Make sure your device is fully charged.
- Download and Install the Samsung Galaxy S8 USB Drivers in your PC/Laptop.
How To Install TWRP Custom Recovery In Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus
- First of all make sure you haven’t skipped any of the step written above and follow all the instructions carefully.
- Create an backup of your device, install USB drivers and download all the required files.
- Download Odin Flash Tool zip file and unzip it in a folder on your PC/Laptop’s desktop.
- Download the right TWRP custom recovery for your device in .tar format and move it into the same folder where the Odin Flash Tool files are extracted.
- Now turn off your device, and enter your device in Download mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down + Bixby buttons and then press the Power button until you see an Android robot sign and then press the Volume Up button to confirm it.
- Once your device is in Download mode, connect your S8 with PC using the original USB cable.
- Now Launch the Odin PrinceComsy.exe on your PC from the folder extracted earlier.
- Click on the AP button in the Odin Flash Tool and select the TWRP Recovery image in .tar format and after selecting the file, click on the Start button to start the flashing process.
- Once the flashing is complete, you’ll see a PASS message in Odin. Now disconnect your device from PC and press and hold the Volume Up, Bixby button and Power button together until your device boots into TWRP custom recovery mode and swipe to allow all modifications when it asks.
How To Root Samsung Galaxy S8 And S8 Plus
- When you’re in TWRP Recovery Mode, select Wipe and then Format Data and type YES, this will erase your device by formatting everything.
- Now go back to the main menu, select Reboot and then Recovery to reboot your device into Recovery mode once again.
- Download and transfer Magisk or SuperSU into your device’s storage.
- Now select Install in TWRP and select Magisk or SuperSU zip file and swipe to flash the select file.
- Once the flashing is complete, tap on the Reboot System button to restart your device.