The Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus are here with updated hardware and features. The Galaxy S series of smartphones is the most popular Android smartphone series from any manufacturer. The device came in market few days back and we already have the method to flash custom TWRP recovery and gain root access on the Galaxy S8 and S8+ and all the credit goes to XDA developer jesec who came up with this working method. Just keep in mind that the method is only for smartphone which are running on the Exynos chipset not the Qualcomm chip.
List of Variants Supported (Settings > About Device)
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Before You Begin
- This method is only for Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus running on Exynos chipset. Please make sure you have one of the variant mentioned above.
- Make sure your device is at least 50% charged before you follow this guide.
- Download and Install Samsung USB Drivers in your PC.
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock option in your device. Go to Settings> About Phone> Software info, then find Build number and tap on it repeatedly until you see a message that says “You are now a developer.” Now go back to main Settings, and you will now see Developer mode towards the bottom. Tap on Developer mode and find OEM Unlock and USB Debugging. Enable them both.
- Create a backup of all your device’s data and apps.
Download Required Files
- Latest Odin Flash Tool
- TWRP Recovery for Samsung Galaxy S8
- TWRP Recovery for Samsung Galaxy S8+
- Download disable dm-verity zip: no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip
- Latest Magisk: Magisk-v12.0.zip
How To Install TWRP Recovery And Root Samsung Galaxy S8 And S8 Plus (Exynos Variants)
- Download all the required files from above.
- Download and copy no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip and Magisk-v12.0.zip files to your phone.
- Download the Odin flash tool zip file and extract it in a folder.
- Launch the Odin3.exe file on your PC.
- Now power off your device and then Press and hold Bixby + Volume down buttons and then press the Power button to boot into download mode.
- Once you’re in Download mode, connect your device to PC using USB cable.
- You’ll see “Added!!” message in the Odin log box, once the device is detected by Odin (If not detected make sure USB drivers are installed).
- Now click on the AP tab in Odin and select the TWRP recovery .tar file that you downloaded.
- Click on the Options tab in Odin and uncheck the Auto Reboot option.
- Click on Start button to start the TWRP recovery flashing process and wait for it to complete.
- Once the process is complete, the ID:COM port will light up green and you’ll see PASS message.
- Now you can disconnect your device from PC.
- TWRP custom recovery is successfully flashed in your device, its time to gain root access.
- Boot your device in Recovery mode, press and hold the Volume Down + Bixby + Power buttons at the same time and immediately swap to Volume Up as soon as the screen goes blank/black while still pressing the Home and Power keys. Keep the all keys pressed until you get into TWRP Recovery mode.
- In Recovery Mode, Tap on Install and navigate and select the no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip and swipe the installation confirmation slider.
- After installing the zip file, go to main menu of TWRP Recovery, select Reboot > Recovery.
- Once the device reboot into recovery mode, tap on Install option, navigate to the Magisk-v12.0.zip and install it.
- Once the flashing of Magisk-V12.0 is complete, tap on Reboot > System.
That’s it!! Congratulations, your Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8 Plus is successfully rooted now and TWRP custom recovery is installed.