Learn how to root Xiaomi Redmi 2 and install CWM Custom Recovery in it using ADB & Fastboot and SuperSU with easy method and instructions. The Redmi 2 is the successor of Xiaomi Redmi with some improvements and upgrades in hardware and features. In this guide, we’ll first flash the custom recovery image in your device using ADB & Fastboot and then we’ll root your Xiaomi Redmi 2 with the help of CWM Custom Recovery.
Before You Begin
- This method is for Xiaomi Redmi 2 only.
- Create a backup of all your important files and documents.
- Make sure your device is fully charged (60% minimum).
- Enable USB Debugging in your Xiaomi Redmi 2.
- Download and Install USB Drivers for Xiaomi Redmi 2 in your PC.
Download Required Files
How To Flash Custom Recovery On Xiaomi Redmi 2
- Follow all the instructions written above and download all the required files in your PC.
- Extract the ADB & Fastboot zip file in a folder on your PC’s desktop and also move the Custom Recovery image file in the same folder.
- Now, switch off your Redmi 2 smartphone and boot it into the Fastboot mode by pressing the Volume Down and Power Buttons simultaneously.
- Now connect your device to PC using Data cable.
- Now open the folder where you extracted the ADB & Fastboot files, hold “Shift” button in your Keyboard and Right click on an empty space. You will see “Open Command Window here” option. Click on it to open a command window there.
- A command prompt window will appear on your PC’s screen. Type the following command in it and hit Enter button :
- If USB Drivers are installed properly then command prompt will show your device’s name.
- Now type the following command and press Enter button to flash Custom Recovery in your Xiaomi Redmi 2 :
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Once you have successfully flash Custom Recovery image in your device. Type the following command to reboot your device :
That’s it! CWM Custom Recovery is successfully installed in your Xiaomi Redmi 2. Now its time to gain root access in your device.
How To Root Xiaomi Redmi 2
- Download the SuperSU zip file in your Xiaomi Redmi 2. If its downloaded in your PC then transfer it in your device.
- Now boot your device in Recovery Mode, Switch Off your smartphone and then press the Volume Up and Power button to boot your device into the CWM recovery mode.
- In Recovery Mode, select “Install from Zip” and select the SuperSU zip package to begin the rooting process.
- Once the rooting process is done, go to main menu of Custom Recovery and reboot your device.
Congrats!! Your Xiaomi Redmi 2 is successfully rooted now 🙂